Formerly chief of the White Collar Crime Section of the Office of the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio, a major portion of Ralph's practice involves complex commercial disputes. Ralph was recently named as one of Ohio's Super Litigation Attorneys and is a member of the Panel of Mediators for Commercial Disputes for Cuyahoga County, Ohio Common Pleas Court.
Areas Of Emphasis
Complex Commercial Litigation
Ralph's significant litigation experience, both as defense counsel and a prosecutor includes:
- Litigating zoning and construction contract disputes relating to major office building projects, abandoned industrial facilities and residential properties
- Defending criminal and civil antitrust enforcement actions commenced by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Ohio Attorney General's Office involving allegations of bid rigging, territorial allocation and antitrust conspiracy under Federal and state statutes
- Successfully representing companies and individuals in white collar criminal matters of bankruptcy and health care fraud, antitrust and securities enforcement, IRS tax matters, ERISA benefit matters and criminal enforcement of environmental laws
- Defending and prosecuting claims of unfair competition, majority/minority shareholder disputes, trade secret covenant-not-to-compete and tortuous interference with business relationships including claims asserted under civil (federal and state) RICO statutes and the Economic Espionage Act
- "Negotiations 101: Plea Agreements, Sentencing, Attorney-Client Privilege, Pre-Trial Diversion (1.0)," panel discussion in seminar on "White Collar Crime: Latest Trends and Best Practices," sponsored by the CMBA and Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, December 17, 2010
Professional & Community Associations
- Fellow, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- American and Ohio Bar Associations
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Master Bencher, A.J. Celebrezze Inn of Court
- Life Member, Conference of the Eighth Judicial District of Ohio
- Member, Judicial Advisory Committee to the U.S. District Court (Northern District of Ohio)
- Member of Panel of Mediators for Commercial Disputes - Cuyahoga County, Ohio Common Pleas Court
- Member, U.S. Attorney's Advisory Council
- Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2006
T.M. Cooley School of Law, J.D., 1976
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1971
Licensed to Practice
- U.S., Ohio and Florida Supreme Courts
- Numerous Federal district and appellate courts
Awards & Recognitions2013 - Selected for inclusion in the London-based publication, "The International Who's Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers 2013."
2010 - Selected for inclusion in Inside Business magazine's current listing of Northeast Ohio's "Leading Lawyers," an honor bestowed upon only one percent of the region's practicing attorneys - Civil Litigation
AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
2008-2009 - Recognized as a leading practitioner in the field of criminal law by the London-based publications, The International Who's Who of Business Crime Lawyers, 2008 and The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2009
2006-2007 - Recognized in the 2006 & 2007 editions of Corporate Counsel Magazine: Best Lawyers - Environmental Law
2006-2014 - Selected for inclusion in the 2006-2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in America. Listed in the current edition for Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: White-Collar; Litigation-Construction; Litigation-Environmental.
2005-2014 - Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Ohio)
2004-2014 - Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers list. Areas of practice: Criminal Defense: White Collar; Environmental Litigation; Commercial Litigation.
Articles by Ralph E. CascarillaJune 2005 – Client Alert on Environmental Law: Toxic Release Inventory Data Due July 1