Susan practices in the areas of Labor & Employment, Education and Civil Litigation. Susan has successfully defended employers against charges of discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, defamation, and workplace privacy violations, winning on summary judgment and successfully defending the decisions on appeal. In addition, Susan provides general counsel to both public and private employers on a variety of workplace matters and human resources issues, and has conducted numerous in-services to train employees and employers alike on best employment practices and procedures.
On the Education law front, Susan has represented numerous school boards across the state in labor negotiations (traditional and interest-based), in civil litigation and administrative appeals, as well as before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and the State Employment Relations Board. In her litigation practice, Susan has trial experience in a variety of civil litigation matters, ranging from breach of contract to employment discrimination actions.
Areas Of Emphasis
Susan has a broad range of litigation experience, such as:
- Defending public and private employers against charges of discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, defamation, and workplace privacy violations;
- Contract interpretation and consumer law disputes;
- Defending and protecting the territory of rural water associations from encroachment under federal and state law;
- Obtaining or defending against motions for injunctive relief; and
- Successfully defending favorable judgments on appeal.
- "2010 Walter | Haverfield LLP Labor and Employment Law Seminar," "Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, oh my! - Regulating the Workplace in the World of Web 2.0," Outline, Presentation, Holiday Inn in Independence, September 30, 2010.
- On September 5, 2010, Susan appeared on the NewsChannel 5 television show, "Kaleidoscope." Hosted by local TV personality Leon Bibb, the show features interviews and stories about issues that affect the people and communities of Northeast Ohio. In her segment, Susan discussed a new Department of Labor (DOL) administrator's interpretation of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and its potential impact upon employers and employees.
- "Employment Law Update: What You Need to Know for 2010," Holiday Inn Cleveland West, April 16, 2010.
- "Spring School Law Seminar," Holiday Inn Cleveland West, April 14, 2010.
Professional & Community Associations
- Chair-elect of Board of Trustees of Lorain County Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services, Inc. (LCADA)
- Leadership Lorain County, Best Class of 2004
- Cleveland and Lorain County Bar Association
- Member of Ohio School Boards Association
- Cleveland Civic Leadership Institute, 2009 Member
- Former Member of Lorain City Schools Bond Council Oversight Committee
- Former Secretary-Treasurer of Kendal at Oberlin
Capital University School of Law, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude, Associate Editor of Law Review and Order of the Curia
Licensed to Practice
- All courts in Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Awards & Recognitions2009-2012 - Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Areas of practice: Employment & Labor; Schools & Education.
Articles by Susan Keating AndersonAugust 2015 - ''LGBT Rights in the Workplace," HR Cleveland
May 20, 2015 - "Social media marketing accounts can create tangled employment-related issues," Crain's Cleveland Business (Legal Guest Blog)
September 16, 2014 - "Recognizing LGBT workplace rights: Is your business prepared?," Crain's Cleveland Business (Legal Guest Blog)
May 31, 2012 - "Breastfeeding at Work: Just What is an Employer's Obligation Under the Law?," TLNT.com
May 23, 2012 - "Breastfeeding in the Workplace," Crain's Cleveland Business (Legal Guest Blog)
April 10, 2012 - "Navigating the social media minefield in the workplace," Crain's Cleveland Business (Legal Guest Blog)
March 27, 2012 - "Employers beware of asking for Facebook access during the interview process," Crain's Cleveland Business (Legal Guest Blog)
March/April 2011 - "Regulating the Medical Workplace in the World of Web 2.0," Northern Ohio Physician
March 23, 2011 - "Beyond the NLRB Scare: Why You Need Smart Social Media Policies in the Workplace," TLNT.com
April 2009 - "Summer Jobs and Restrictions on Nepotism"