Lacie is a supervising attorney in the firm's Tax & Wealth Management Section. She has the highest level of education in her specialty earning a Masters of Law in Taxation from Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
She is knowledgeable in all areas of taxation and estate planning as it relates to closely held and family businesses, their owner/operators and high net worth individuals. She works on a variety of tax issues and works closely with families and other entrepreneurs on multi-generational wealth preservation and transfers. Prior to joining Walter | Haverfield, Lacie did similar work for one of the largest and most prominent CPA firms in the state of Ohio. She is well respected and well known in the community. Among other things, she has a specialty in dealing with the estate planning and personal issues surrounding taking care of family pets after the death of their owners. She has also developed an expertise in designing owner dominated pension and profit sharing programs for owners of closely held businesses and has extensive experience dealing with the Internal Revenue Service on ERISA and related matters. Lacie has also been involved in many reorganizations of our client companies, organization and drafting of limited liability company documents, recapitalizations, 409A reviews of non-qualified deferred compensation and employee benefit design and implementation.
Areas of Emphasis
ERISA and Employee Benefits
Lacie is primarily responsible for the the design and implementation of the individually designed qualified plans of our closely held middle market clients. She specializes in meeting the needs of entrepreneurs and their families and key employees. In addition, she has extensive experience implementing non-qualified deferred compensation and employee benefit programs for executives and companies with special emphasis on section 409A.
- Drafted multi-generational trusts including asset protection provisions
- Drafted intra family sale documents and prepared the spreadsheets to implement the numbers
- Drafted family limited partnerships and LLC's
- Drafted charitable trusts
- Drafted Grantor retained annuity trusts
- Assisted in estate and gift tax controversy work
- Prepared trust, estate and gift tax returns
Federal, State and Local Tax
- Qualified Plan work emphasizes individually designed programs working closely with nationally recognized actuarial firms.
- Total Wealth Management services including advising clients on asset ownership, transition of ownership to the next generation and designing documents to carry out the intricate wishes of wealthy clients.
- Works on tax efficient ways of transferring assets and taking advantage of the latest cutting edge techniques.
- Has been quoted in USA Today and has appeared on local television on wealth management issues.
- Reorganized a multi-state IT organization into a Delaware entity, coordinating the Massachusetts health law and the needs of partners in 5 states.
- Has written the organizational documents for many service entities including CPA firms, financial services entities and law firms.
- Recapitalized a restaurant chain, a construction company, a security firm and several other entities.
- "Understanding and Drafting Wills and Trusts," Sterling Education Services seminar, Cleveland, Ohio, September 21, 2012.
- "Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts" and "Grantor Trusts," presentations given at National Business Institute (NBI) Seminar, Cleveland, Ohio, June 19, 2012.
- "Setting up Fido for Life: Estate Planning for Pet Owners" through the Cuyahoga County Bar Association on September 19, 2007.
Professional & Community Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Tax Club of Cleveland
- Volunteers at Community Legal Aid Services, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
Case Western Reserve University School of Law LL.M. (Taxation) 2005
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law J.D. 2003
Kenyon College B.A. 1998
Licensed to Practice
- Ohio, United States Tax Court
Awards & Recognitions2011 - Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, as a member of its Rising Stars list. Areas of practice: Estate Planning & Probate; Tax; Employee Benefits/ERISA.
Articles by Lacie L. O'DaireMarch 2013 - "Now is the Time to Plan for Changes in the Health Law"
October 2007 – In an article entitled, “Who will care for Fido or Rover?”, published in the October 19, 2007 issue of the Cleveland Jewish News, Lacie discussed the establishment of “pet trusts” and their benefits for both pet owners and their animals.
September 2007 – Lacie was quoted extensively in an article discussing "pet trusts" which appeared in the September 4, 2007 issue of "USA Today" newspaper.
August 2007 – Lacie was featured in a Crain's Cleveland Business article addressing Ohio's new "pet trust" legislation. In the article entitled "Gone to the Dogs", Lacie discusses the new benefits provided by this legislation for pet owners and their animals.