Sara is an attorney with the firm's Litigation Section. She concentrates her practice in the areas of general civil litigation, business and commercial litigation, and white collar criminal defense. Sara has extensive experience in the discovery of electronically stored information (ESI), including all aspects of retrieving, culling, reviewing and producing ESI under the Federal and Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure. She is knowledgeable regarding document database creation and management, live data and back-up tape document restoration, various production formats, privilege and work product protection, and the preservation of data / metadata to avoid spoliation.
Sara attended Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, West Virginia, where she earned her B.A. in Political Science in 2000. She graduated magna cum laude in the Stephen J. Laut, S.J., Honors Program, and received the school's prestigious Collegian of the Year award in 2000. She subsequently attended Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where she obtained her law degree in 2003. While at CWRU, she received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award® for both Pretrial Practice and 2nd Amendment Studies / Firearms Regulation.
Sara is member of the Federal, American, Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations.
Areas of Emphasis
Sara's litigation experience includes:
- Participating in the successful representation of Trust beneficiaries in resolving a dispute in federal court with a Trustee arising from certain investment decisions made by the Trustee. The amount at issue was in excess of one million dollars.
- Sitting second-chair in a four-day jury trial in state court that resulted in a unanimous jury verdict. The case involved a contract between a law firm and our client (who was formerly the law firm's client). The law firm was found liable to the client on a counterclaim and the client was awarded compensatory damages.
- Assisting in the defense of a high-profile, media-intensive, white collar criminal defense matter which culminated in a month-long trial.
- Managing document productions of both traditional, hard copy documents as well as electronically-stored information where the volume of both types of information has been in the hundreds of thousands of pages.
- Participating in pleading, motion practice and discovery in trade secret litigation in state court in Ohio.
Professional & Community Associations
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Green Initiative Committee Member
- Civil Justice Improvement Committee, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas
- Member, National Association of Professional Women (2010-present)
- Member, Women in eDiscovery, Cleveland Chapter (2010-present)
- Member, Board of Trustees for the Izaak Walton League of America, Medina, Ohio Chapter (2013-present)
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2003
Wheeling Jesuit University, B.A. (magna cum laude), 2000
Licensed to Practice
- All courts in Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana