The popularity of collegiate and professional sports has created a need among conferences, universities, teams and individuals for legal counsel in the areas of:
- Contract negotiations
- Media relations
- Organizational and personal tax planning
- Succession planning
In the past decade, Walter | Haverfield has served as general counsel to a NCAA Division I conference, providing legal services to the conference governing body, commissioner and constituent members in all aspects of conference operations. Our work has also included services for several NCAA-sanctioned bowl games. Our attorneys’ extensive experience in the sports industry allows Walter | Haverfield to serve this niche clientele with high quality, results-oriented legal representation.
Our team’s experience includes:
- Media contract negotiation for conferences and universities
- License agreements
- Consultation with collegiate athletic conferences and Bowl game organizations, including the negotiation and drafting of team participation contracts
- Bowl-related media contract representation and contractual commitment with participant conferences
- Collegiate athletic conference governance matters, including drafting and revision of by-laws and constitutions.
- General conference organizational planning, including membership admission and withdrawal, conference compliance, and organization of conference operations
- Personal representation of NCAA and NFL assistant football coaches and their families in areas including succession planning, retirement plan consultation, tax planning, employment contract assistance, and general legal assistance
- NCAA compliance representation
- Arena and venue contract negotiation and preparation
- The Sport Law Group attorneys of Walter | Haverfield have been recognized in recent editions of Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, and have been consistently selected to Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list.