- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Land Use and Zoning
- Public Law
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- Sunshine Law and Public Records
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Juris Doctor, 2005
- Boston College, Bachelor of Arts, 2002
Licensed to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Alejandro V. Cortes is an associate in Walter | Haverfield’s Public Law, Litigation, and Labor and Employment groups. He has extensive experience representing public entities in northeast Ohio. Alejandro previously served as an Associate General Counsel for the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority and as an Assistant Director of Law for the City of Cleveland. He also served as the Judicial Staff Attorney for Judge Carolyn B. Friedland at the Cuyahoga County Court of Commons Pleas.
Alejandro’s experience includes representation of public entities at the trial and appellate levels in federal and state court involving federal civil rights, wrongful death, police misconduct, personal injury, employment litigation, and public records litigation. Alejandro has also represented public entities in numerous labor arbitrations involving employee discipline and contract interpretation grievances and has regularly appeared before the U.S. Employment Equal Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, Unemployment Compensation Review Commission, and civil service commissions.
In addition to his litigation practice, Alejandro has extensive experience advising public entities on labor and employment matters including, critical contract interpretation, FMLA, overtime and FLSA, reasonable accommodations, and employee discipline and grievances.
PUBLIC LAW SERVICES
- Served as Associate General Counsel for the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority.
- Served as Assistant Director of Law for the City of Cleveland.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LITIGATION
- Defense of employment discrimination claim involving religious discrimination and retaliation allegations.
- Obtained declaratory judgment on the substantive arbitrability of a grievance and secured a permanent injunction preventing a union’s attempt to arbitrate promotional pass overs in a municipality’s police department.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT SERVICES
- Represents public entities in labor arbitration matters.
- Successfully defended a municipality’s double demotion of a Fire Captain to First Grade Fire Fighter for off-duty misconduct.
- Successfully defended a municipality’s decision to pass over a more senior police officer in a job bid dispute.
- Successfully defended a municipality’s decision to terminate a fire fighter for violating the municipality’s drug and alcohol policy.
- Successfully defended a political subdivision’s termination of a Police Sergeant for job performance issues and on-duty misconduct.
- Successfully defended a political subdivision’s termination of a maintenance employee for violating the employer’s drug and alcohol policy.
- Successfully defended a political subdivision’s management right to make job assignments within its police department.
- Represents public entities before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, Unemployment Compensation and Review Commission, and civil service commissions.
- Advises public entities on personnel policies, including federal and state employment laws.
- Trial and appellate experience in state and federal court in federal civil rights, wrongful death, police misconduct, personal injury, and employment litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment on a multi-million dollar class action complaint involving a municipality’s automated traffic cameras.
- Obtained summary judgment of a personal injury lawsuit based on political subdivision immunity that was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained reversal of a trial court decision denying immunity to a municipality’s Chief of Police in the court of appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of a wrongful death lawsuit involving a municipality’s police dispatchers that was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on Monell claims and qualified immunity in a federal civil rights/police misconduct cases.
LAND USE & ZONING
- Served as counsel to a municipality’s board of zoning appeals.
SUNSHINE LAW AND PUBLIC RECORDS
- Advises clients on compliance with Ohio’s Public Records Requests.
- Litigated mandamus actions in the common pleas court, appellate court, and Ohio Supreme Court.
- Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 2019 – present
- Ohio Hispanic Bar Association, 2011 – present
- Hispanic Alliance Leadership Development Initiative, 2018 – present
- College Now Greater Cleveland Mentor, 2015 – present
- Shaker Heights Citizen Police Association, 2015 – present
- John Carroll University Rugby Football Club, Head Coach, 2014 – present
- St. Ignatius High School Alumni Council Bellarmine Committee, 2007 – present
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.