- Commercial Litigation
- Product Liability and Medical Device
- Professional Liability and Discipline
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Consumer Finance Defense
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A.
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
Matt brings more than 20 years of litigation experience to Walter | Haverfield. He is highly skilled in all phases of litigation. Matt has significant legal, pragmatic, and strategic planning experience from representing clients in their most important and extensive lawsuits. Matt has litigated high profile and complex civil matters, including wrongful death, catastrophic injury cases, and “Bet-the-Company” litigation. These matters have included multi-jurisdictional matters, coordinated proceedings and class actions throughout Ohio as well as across the country. Matt regularly represents clients in the areas of commercial litigation, employment litigation, insurance and white-collar criminal matters. As a prosecutor, Matt tried more than 85 cases to successful jury verdicts and successfully defended all but one matter on appeal.
Matt is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), which allows him to provide clients with unique insight at all stages of representation, including risk management issues and strategies to improve best practices.
- Litigated matters in the areas of commercial, product liability, employment, professional liability, real estate, securities, probate, domestic, and criminal law, as well as matters concerning trade secrets, non-compete agreements, §1983, FDCP, bankruptcy, recourse liability, receivership, libel and slander.
- Represented 30 clients listed in the Fortune 500 throughout all phases of litigation.
- Fostered regulatory adherence and provided guidance to clients regarding contractual, employment, and tax obligations.
- Provided strategic advice and counsel to corporate and privately held clients regarding employment obligations and actions, commercial transactions, product recalls, regulatory responses, contract negotiations, and entity formation.
- Promoted regulatory adherence by conducting risk management assessments and provided recommendations to clients.
- Appointed as a delegate to the 8th District Judicial Conference (May 2022)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2013, 2014, and 2015
- February 2015 – “Pretrial Practice and Discovery,” Lakeland Community College, Kirtland, OH
- July 2009 – “Introduction to Criminal Liability for the Civil Practitioner,” White Collar, Entity Liability, and the PCA Lunch and Learn Lecture Series, Cleveland, OH
- May 2008 – “Internet Research in Litigation,” Lunch and Learn Lecture Series, Cleveland, OH
- February 2003, 2004, and 2005 – “Financial Literacy – You and the Law,” Cuyahoga Community College Women in Transition Program, Cleveland, OH
- Canopy Child Advocacy Center, Board of Directors and Treasurer
- Cleveland Metro Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Ohio Bar Association
- West Shore Bar Association
- Notre Dame Club of Cleveland
- Former Head Coach of the John Hay Mock Trial Team, City Champions
- Instructor and Lecturer, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.