- Education General Counsel Services
- Education Labor and Employment Law
- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Labor Relations / Collective Bargaining
- Public Law
- Sunshine Law and Public Records
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2006
- John Carroll University, B.A., 2002
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Max Rieker brings more than a dozen years of professional legal experience to Walter | Haverfield’s Labor & Employment group.
As a certified specialist in labor & employment law by the Ohio State Bar Association, Max counsels both private and public sector employers in a full range of workplace matters.
Max has successfully represented clients before a variety of arbitrators, boards, commissions, administrative agencies and courts throughout Ohio. He has extensive experience handling administrative investigations and police use-of-force cases. He has prevailed in an array of challenges involving employee discipline and termination cases. Having negotiated well over 100 public sector collective bargaining agreements, Max also has the skills to craft solutions for public entities. He has represented clients in dozens of cases through the statutory fact-finding and conciliation process.
Max’s practice also focuses on the needs of private sector clients, having represented small businesses, mid-size manufacturers and significant international corporations. This representation includes all manner of employment agreements, non-compete agreements, contract disputes, executive compensation considerations, severance issues and immigration concerns. Additionally, he has unique experience in areas that intersect with employment relationships such as union avoidance and investigations involving the Department of Justice.
A native of Northeast Ohio, Max began his legal career with a judicial clerkship, then spent several years as in-house counsel for a major labor union prior to joining Walter | Haverfield.
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LITIGATION
- Performed complex wage studies and financial analysis, resulting in several favorable rulings before conciliators.
- Successfully negotiated a multitude of collective bargaining agreements.
- Represented several clients during the course of criminal investigations related to police use of deadly force.
- Has prevailed in cases before both trial courts and appellate courts.
- Involved with several complex disputes relating to statutes including FMLA, FLSA, USERRA, HIPAA, the Ohio Public Record Act and the Ohio Collective Bargaining Act.
- Successfully represented clients in unfair labor practice (ULP) charges.
- Advised clients and processed hundreds of contract dispute grievances. Prevailed in a wide variety of cases including contract interpretation issues, past practice claims, policy implementation disputes, and employee discipline – including several termination cases.
- Handled issues related to employer policy design and implementation, including workforce evaluation.
- Extensive involvement in administrative investigations, including many polygraph examinations.
- 2018 – Current, Ohio State Bar Association “Board Certified Specialist” in the area of Labor and Employment Law
- Supreme Court Weakens Employer Procedural Defenses in Discrimination Claims
- Department of Labor Issues a Trio of Important Opinions for Employers
- Medical Marijuana in the Workplace – An Employer’s Dilemma
- Supreme Court Clarifies Age Discrimination Law for Public Employers
- NLRB’s Joint Employer Ruling Put on Hold
- Labor law experiences seismic change during the first year of the Trump administration
- Presented on topics such as the unfair labor practice process, past practice arguments, and arbitration procedure to multiple client groups.
- Presented at Basics of Employment Law for the Ohio State Bar Association.
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Northeast Ohio Law Directors’s Association
- Irish American Law Society of Cleveland
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.