- Education General Counsel Services
- Education Labor and Employment Law
- Labor Relations / Collective Bargaining
- Student Issues
- Sunshine Law and Public Records
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 2008
- Ohio State University, B.A., 2004
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Megan is an associate with Walter | Haverfield in the Education and Labor & Employment groups. She focuses her practice on providing general counsel to school districts in board governance, personnel, and student matters, including discipline, records, board policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, arbitration, parliamentary procedure, residency and custody disputes, social media, Constitutional rights, and discrimination concerns. Megan also assists districts with collective bargaining needs, including contract review and negotiation.
EDUCATION – GENERAL COUNSEL SERVICES
- Counsels clients regarding a variety of board-governance related issues, including parliamentary procedure, board vacancies, Open Meeting Act compliance, and Ethics laws.
- Advises school districts regarding the impact of legislative changes on school district obligations and practices.
- Drafts, revises, and makes recommendations regarding board policies and procedures as well as district-level policies and procedures.
- Drafts, revises, and makes recommendations regarding school district handbooks.
- Advises school districts on issues related to staff First Amendment and other Constitutional rights.
- Advises school districts on a variety of day-to-day operational issues.
EDUCATION – COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
- Drafts collective bargaining agreement provisions for school districts.
- Assists school districts with all facets of the collective bargaining process, including drafting, negotiating, interpreting, and administering collective bargaining agreement provisions.
- Counsels school districts on the impact of technology and collective bargaining.
- Assists school district clients with processing and addressing ULPs and grievances.
SUNSHINE LAW AND PUBLIC RECORDS
- Counsels school districts on all aspects of Ohio’s Open Meetings Act (OMA), including OMA compliance and the impact of technology on district and board member obligations.
- Counsels school districts regarding public records requests and assists with Public Records Act compliance.
LABOR & EMPLOYMENT SERVICES
- Counsels school districts regarding matters of employee discipline and contractual obligations.
- Assists school districts with processing of matters of employee discipline and termination.
- Counsels clients regarding employee criminal records check obligations.
- Assists school districts with matters before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
- Advises school districts on issues related to student First Amendment and other Constitutional rights.
- Counsels school districts on issues of student discipline, hazing and bullying, and social media.
- Counsels clients regarding compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and related student privacy obligations and concerns.
- Assists school districts with matters before the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
- Counsels school districts regarding attendance, tuition and custody law matters, including enrollment entitlement, obligations, and disputes.
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Business Negotiations
- Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy – 2018 Class
- Ohio State Bar Association Education Law Committee Chair – July 2018-June 2020
- 2019 Ohio State Bar Foundation Fellow
- HB 110 Changes to Blended Learning
- Sixth Circuit Issues Opinion on School District’s Public Participation Policy
- HB 244 and COVID Considerations for the 2021 School Year
- State Supreme Court Ruling Requires Training for Armed Staff in Ohio Schools
- Blended Learning: What you need to know before the July 1 deadline
- ODE Releases Guidance on Remote Learning for the 2021-22 School Year
- House Bill 404 Extends Temporary Virtual Meeting Authority
- Ohio Department of Health Director Signs K-12 COVID-19 Reporting and Notification Order
- Ohio Department of Health Releases Use of Face Shield Guidance
- Ohio School Mask Orders Update
- Yost Revisits OMA Recommendations, Allows for Electronic Participation at Board Meetings
- COVID-19: How the Virus Impacts School District Obligations
- CBD Oil Now Legal in Ohio
- Walter | Haverfield Expands Columbus Office, Grows its Education Team
Megan routinely provides training for board members, administrators and staff regarding legal updates, general education, and other student-related issues. Topics include:
- Student and staff First Amendment rights
- Collective bargaining
- FERPA compliance
- Title IX compliance
- Effective booster and parent organization operations
- Technology and privacy concerns in school districts
- Hot topics in school law
- New board member training
- Board officer training
- Parliamentary procedure
- Sunshine Laws: Open Meetings Act and Public Records Act
- Board candidacy
- Board policy and procedure best practices
- Hazing and bullying
- Essential board policies and procedures
- School Sports law
- How successful leaders work with legal counsel
- The Licensure Code of Professional Conduct Changes
- Professionalism Considerations When Handling Internal Investigations
- Hiring and other HR-related matters affecting school districts and employers
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio School Boards Association Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- National School Boards Association Counsel of School Attorneys
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.