- New York Law School, J.D., 2011
- Rutgers University, B.A., 2008
Licensed to Practice
- New York
- New Jersey (2011- 2019)
Sara brings more than a decade of legal experience to the Walter | Haverfield Education Law Group. Previously, Sara served as assistant legal counsel at the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) where she advised ODE staff on education law matters, worked closely with the Ohio Attorney General’s office on litigation, ensured compliance with state and federal law, drafted education-related rules to implement in the Ohio Revised Code and facilitated administrative hearings with ODE. Prior to her time at ODE, Sara founded her own multi-state general practice law office where she represented hundreds of clients on a broad range of litigation and transactional cases.
- Advised ODE staff and worked with the Ohio Attorney General’s office on matters including Ohio’s residency laws, Academic Distress Commissions, compliance with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) child nutrition programs, compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Ohio’s transportation laws, and Early Learning programs.
- Ensured agency, vendor, and school district compliance with HIPPA and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Drafted rules to implement the Ohio Revised Code in the areas of fiscal oversight, special education, positive behavioral intervention and supports, early learning and school readiness, and minimum operating standards for school districts and nonpublic schools.
- Researched and analyzed questions that arose on state and federal law, including analyses of federal regulations and state and federal grant assurances.
- Facilitated administrative hearings regarding USDA child nutrition programs, denial of federal grant applications, payment in lieu of transportation, and territory transfer requests.
- Worked with the Ohio Attorney General’s office to prepare for hearing proceedings, including the preparation of witnesses, and the legal and factual analysis of claims.
- Developed appeals procedures ensuring compliance with the controlling state and federal regulations.
- Drafted contracts, legal memorandum, student privacy and data sharing agreements with private vendors and other state agencies.
- Worked closely with the Office of Procurement regarding competitive bidding, sole source contracts, and submission to the Ohio Controlling Board.
- Analyzed risk management and prevention with regards to legal claims, litigation, and ODE processes.
- Worked with state and federal Inspectors General on pending investigations against ODE staff, teachers, and educational agencies.
- Conducted trainings on public records requests and FERPA.
- Public Records and FERPA training at the Ohio State School for the Blind and the Ohio School for the Deaf
- Public Records and FERPA training for internal ODE staff
- Chair, Government Agencies Committee, Columbus Bar Association (2019-2021)
- Member, Columbus Bar Association Barrister Leadership Program (2019-2020)
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association (2017-2018)
- Member, New York State Bar Association (2015-2017)
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association (2013-2017)
- Member, American Bar Association (2013-2017)
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.