Thomas Jefferson School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Miami University, B.A., cum laude
Licensed to Practice
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Wesley M. Kretch is an associate in the Walter | Haverfield Public Law group. He has extensive experience representing public entities at trial and appellate levels in state and federal court. Wesley has previously served as a Municipal Staff Attorney with the Franklin County Public Defender’s Office. He also served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office and as an Assistant Director of Law for the City of Cleveland.
Wesley’s experience includes defending municipal entities in workers’ compensations cases, personal injury defense and litigation, including public records and federal civil rights cases.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of City of Cleveland and several officials in federal civil rights case alleging excessive force, Maurice Rhoades v. City of Cleveland et al.
- Former positions include Municipal Staff Attorney with the Franklin County Public Defender, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office and Assistant Director of Law for the City of Cleveland
- Represented public entities at trial and appellate levels in state and federal court
- Defense of municipal entity in public records disputes in the Ohio Court of Claims and 8th District Court of Appeals
- Defense of municipal entity in workers’ compensation cases filed into the Common Pleas Court
- Represented municipal entity in mandamus action in the 10th District Court of Appeals
- Civil rights cases alleging excessive force
- Personal injury defense
- Successfully argued before the 8th District Court of Appeals that the jury’s verdict in favor of a municipal entity in a workers’ compensation case be affirmed
- Successfully obtained jury trial verdict as co-counsel in John Hotz v. City of Cleveland et al
- Won summary judgment in tort action in Gates v. City of Cleveland et al
- Obtained dismissal of claims alleging negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud, and breach of contract related to a home inspection in King v. City of Cleveland et al
- Obtained dismissal of personal injury claims in Clements et al. Cleveland Public Power et al
- Served as lead counsel for City of Cleveland in Buduson v. City of Cleveland in the Ohio Court of Claims related to the release of the City’s bid for Amazon Inc.’s HQ2 project
- Successfully argued to 8th District Court of Appeals that the trial court’s grant of summary judgment to the City of Cleveland should be upheld in Gilbert v. City of Cleveland
- Served as liaison counsel to City of Cleveland’s outside counsel in the Opioid Multi-District Litigation (MDL) pending before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.