The popularity of collegiate and professional sports has created a need for legal counsel among conferences, universities, teams, and individuals. For more than a decade, Walter Haverfield has served as general counsel to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I conference, providing legal services to the conference governing body, commissioner, and constituent members in all aspects of conference operations.
Our Sports Law Insight
Walter Haverfield’s sports law attorneys provide legal counsel in the areas of:
- Contract negotiations
- Media relations
- Organizational and personal tax planning
- Succession planning
Our work also includes services for several NCAA-sanctioned bowl games. With extensive experience in the sports industry, Walter Haverfield serves this niche clientele with high-quality, results-oriented legal representation.
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter Haverfield attorney.
- Media contract negotiations for conferences and universities
- License agreements
- Consultation with collegiate athletic conferences and bowl game organizations, including the negotiation and drafting of team participation contracts
- Bowl-related media contract representation and contractual commitment with participant conferences
- Collegiate athletic conference governance matters, including drafting and revising of by-laws and constitutions
- General conference organizational planning, including membership admission and withdrawal, conference compliance, and organization of conference operations
- Personal representation of NCAA and NFL assistant football coaches and their families in areas including succession planning, retirement plan consultation, tax planning, employment contract assistance, and general legal assistance
- NCAA compliance representation
- Arena and venue contract negotiation and preparation