Real Estate Services
The Real Estate group’s experience and services include the following:
- Representation of developer in a $12,000,000 historic rehab project involving the conversion of a 100,000 square foot warehouse into 45 apartments. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits and real estate tax abatement. Assisted with all aspects of making the project eligible for historic tax credits, securing such tax credits, negotiating with tax credit investors, and satisfying the requirements of the real estate tax abatement program.
- Representation of developer in a $35,000,000 project involving the conversion of a 175,000 square foot former industrial building into apartments and retail. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits, New Market Tax Credits, and Tax Increment Financing.
- Representation of closely-held corporation in its $9,000,000 acquisition of a warehouse located in a Northeastern Ohio suburb whereby several lot splits and easements were necessary to separate the property from a larger parcel.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the acquisition of manufacturing facilities nationwide.
- Received a $700,000 jury verdict on behalf of a property owner whose land was harmed by an upstream owner/developer’s failure to follow best management practices.
- Representation of national conservation organization in the acquisition of the former Acacia Country Club property and the subsequent donation of same to the Cleveland Metroparks.
- Representation of a large publicly-held REIT in connection with a joint venture relating to a 100+ acre mixed-use development project.
- Representation of a publicly traded secondary educational institution in long term lease agreements located in Class A office buildings nationwide. Represented a national banking institution in long term lease agreements for retail branches and office space nationwide.
- Represents both publicly-held developers and private developers in retail leasing matters, including anchor/big box tenant leases, in-line tenant leases, ground leases, relocation and expansion agreements and lease assignments.
- Acts as counsel to developer in Low Income Housing Tax Credit transactions.
- Drafts and negotiates easements and license agreements, including reciprocal easement agreements, utilities easements, ingress and egress easements, and declarations of easements, restrictions, and conditions.
- Counsels and assists clients on land assemblage and ground-up developments.
- Representation of a regional port authority in connection with fixed rate financing, structured leasing and infrastructure financing.
- Counsel to a global chemical company in connection with the sale of legacy properties, leasing matters and the acquisition and development of manufacturing, processing and warehousing facilities.
U.S. News - Best Lawyers® 2015 “Best Law Firms” rankings
- Metropolitan Tier 1: Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning Litigation, Municipal Law
- Metropolitan Tier 2: Land Use & Zoning Law
- Metropolitan Tier 3: Construction Litigation
According to U.S. News - Best Lawyers®, firms included in this year's listing "...are recognized for professional excellence with persistently impressive ratings from clients and peers. Achieving a tiered ranking signals a unique combination of quality law practice and breadth of legal expertise." This year's ratings were based upon the largest number of participating firms and the highest number of client ballots since these rankings were initiated - more than 17,000 attorneys provided nearly 600,000 law firm evaluations, and almost 7,500 clients also participated in the evaluation process.
U.S. News - Best Lawyers® explained that, "Ranked firms, presented in tiers, are listed on a national and/or metropolitan scale. Receiving a tier designation reflects the high level of respect a firm has earned among other leading lawyers and clients in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism and their integrity."
- Metropolitan Tier 1 - Real Estate Law, Municipal Law, Municipal Litigation, Land Use & Zoning Litigation
- Metropolitan Tier 2 – Construction Litigation
- Metropolitan Tier 1 - Land Use & Zoning Litigation, Municipal Law
- Metropolitan Tier 2 - Real Estate Law
- Metropolitan Tier 3 - Construction Litigation
- Metropolitan Tier 1 - Municipal Law
- Metropolitan Tier 2 - Land Use & Zoning Litigation, Construction Litigation, Eminent Domain & Condemnation Litigation