Marc is a partner in the firm’s Labor and Employment Group. His practice encompasses all aspects of labor relations for both private and public-sector clients.
In the area of employment law, Marc provides strategic counsel on day-to-day contract administration and interpretation, with a focus on avoiding costly litigation through arbitration whenever possible. He has a solid record of delivering successful outcomes against Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) claims. When matters proceed to court, Marc aggressively defends companies against allegations including harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination.
Marc also brings over 50 years of experience to labor relations and collective bargaining. He has served as chief negotiator on more than 1,000 collective bargaining agreements. Marc advises employers across the country on general employee relations matters as well as collective bargaining strategies, union avoidance, union election campaign issues and strategy. Additionally, he has defended his clients against unfair labor practice claims or petitions before the National Labor Review Board and Ohio’s State Employment Relations Board.
Marc is a well-known and respected presenter on a variety of labor and employment issues to both local and regional organizations, publicly traded companies, and professional legal associations.
- Counsels employers in the Greater Cleveland area on union avoidance, union election campaign strategy, and strike avoidance
- Defends federal sexual harassment lawsuits against major national corporations
- Defends companies in common pleas and federal district courts against allegations of harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination
LABOR RELATIONS & COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
- Serves as lead negotiator on labor contracts in both the private and public sectors
- Defends unfair labor practice (ULP) and representation (R) petitions before the NLRB and SERB
- Defends management against EEOC and OCRC claims, resolving them prior to costly litigation
- Defends management in arbitration disputes
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers®
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers®
- Loose Lips Don’t Just Sink Ships, They May Cost Companies Their Union-Free Status
- General Counsel for NLRB Proposing to Re-Visit Employee Representation in Non-Union Settings & Unilateral Employer Action in Collective Bargaining
- Return of Obama Era Employee Standards? Company Email and Handbooks for Union Organizing Under Biden
- President-Elect Trump in Position to Impede Labor Movement
- USW Working to Redefine Role in Rubber Sector
- THE NLRB REDEFINES THE JOINT EMPLOYER DOCTRINE
Marc is a frequent speaker at the Industrial Relations Center of Cleveland State University and has lectured at the American Bar Association’s Annual Mid-Winter Meeting of the Development of the Law Under the NLRA Committee. Other presentations include:
- “Hot Topics for Advocates,” Ohio State Employment Relations Board, August 24, 2018
- “Labor Relations From the Trenches,” John Carroll University’s Boler School of Business, University Heights, Ohio, October 15, 2013
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Walter Haverfield’s Committee on Development of Law under the National Labor Relations Act
- Member, Phi Alpha Delta
- Member, Editorial Board, Cleveland State Law Review
- Former President and Vice President, Cleveland Public Sector Labor Relations Association
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.