Marc Bloch has more than forty years of experience, in both the public and private sectors, in the field of labor relations law. From 1969-1972, he served as an attorney with the National Labor Relations Board. In 1973 he entered the private sector, joining Duvin, Cahn & Hutton. Marc built his practice as a partner at Duvin until its merger with Littler Mendelson in early 2007. He practiced as a shareholder with Littler until November 2007 when he became a partner with the Labor & Employment Law group at Walter | Haverfield.
Marc’s practice encompasses all aspects of labor relations for both private- and public-sector clients. He provides advice and counsel to clients on day-to-day contract administration and interpretation, and has served as the chief negotiator on thousands of collective bargaining agreements. He is licensed to practice in all Ohio courts, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Counsels employers in the Greater Cleveland area on union avoidance, union election campaign strategy, and strike avoidance.
- Defends federal sexual harassment lawsuits against major national corporations.
- Defends companies in Common Pleas and federal district courts against allegations of harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination.
LABOR RELATIONS & COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
- Lead negotiator on labor contracts in both the private and public sectors.
- Defends unfair labor practice (ULP) and representation (R) petitions before the NLRB and SERB.
- Defended management against EEOC and OCRC claims, resolving them prior to costly litigation.
- Defends management in arbitration disputes.
- 2015-2022 – Selected for inclusion in the 2015-2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in America©. Listed in the current edition for Litigation-Labor and Employment.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- 2004-2007 – Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers list. Area of practice: Employment & Labor.
- Member, Editorial Board of Cleveland-Marshall Law Review.
- Member, Phi Alpha Delta.
- General Counsel for NLRB Proposing to Re-Visit Employee Representation in Non-Union Settings & Unilateral Employer Action in Collective Bargaining
- Return of Obama Era Employee Standards? Company Email and Handbooks for Union Organizing Under Biden
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers®
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers®
- President-Elect Trump in Position to Impede Labor Movement
- USW Working to Redefine Role in Rubber Sector
- THE NLRB REDEFINES THE JOINT EMPLOYER DOCTRINE
Marc is a frequent speaker at the Industrial Relations Center of Cleveland State University and has lectured at the American Bar Association’s Annual Mid-Winter Meeting of the Development of the Law Under the NLRA Committee. Other presentations include:
- “Hot Topics for Advocates,” Ohio State Employment Relations Board, August 24, 2018
- “Labor Relations From the Trenches,” John Carroll University’s Boler School of Business, University Heights, Ohio, October 15, 2013
- “Ohio Senate Bill 5: Public Management Perspectives,” Hillcrest Council of Councils, Mayfield Village, Ohio, May 21, 2011
- “Final Ohio Senate Bill 5: Public Management Perspectives on Collective Bargaining and Employment Issues,” Holiday Inn Cleveland South, Independence, Ohio, April 8, 2011
- “Public Labor and Employment Law Update,” co-presenter at the Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association’s 2011 Civil Law Institute, Columbus, Ohio, March 4, 2011
- “Healthcare, Employment & Labor Law Update,” co-presenter at the Annual Presidents’ Day Municipal Law Seminar, sponsored by The Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association and The Government Attorneys Section of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio, February 24, 2011
- 2010 Walter | Haverfield LLP Labor and Employment Law Seminar, “Is the Union Lurking Outside Your Door? – Union Avoidance Practices,” Outline, Presentation
- “Public Sector Labor & Employment Overview and Legal Update,” Outline, Presentation at Holiday Inn Independence, Independence, Ohio, September 30, 2010
Mr. Bloch is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan and the American Bar Associations. He is also a member of the Employment and Labor Law group’s Committee on Development of Law under the National Labor Relations Act, and served as President and Vice-President of the Cleveland Public Sector Labor Relations Association from 1986-1988.
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.