- Business Services
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Real Estate
- Urban and Historic Tax Credits
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- Ohio State Law Journal (Managing Editor 2011-2012, Staff Editor 2010-2011)
- Order of the Coif
- Duke University, B.A., 2009, with honors
Licensed to Practice
Josh’s practice encompasses a broad range of real estate matters, including development and redevelopment of commercial properties, acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, and leasing of retail, office, warehouse and industrial space. He has represented, and negotiated terms on behalf of, both lenders and borrowers in complex real estate financing transactions. He is experienced in the formation of the business entities necessary to his clients’ interests, including joint ventures, limited liability companies and limited partnerships.
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT & FINANCE
- Experienced in the representation of owners and developers, corporations, lending institutions, non-profit institutions and individuals in complex commercial real estate transactions.
- Drafts and negotiates easement and license agreements, including reciprocal easement agreements, utilities easements, ingress and egress easements as well as declarations of easements, restrictions and conditions.
- Counsels and assists clients on land assemblage and ground-up developments.
- Reviews and analyzes surveys, title commitments, and other due diligence materials in several jurisdictions.
- Counsels clients in purchasing, selling, leasing, financing and developing real property for retail, industrial, office and residential use.
- Negotiates loan documentation for both borrowers and lenders for construction financing, permanent and mini-perm mortgage based financing, mezzanine financing and asset-backed financing transactions.
- Experienced in the formation of limited liability companies, joint ventures and limited partnerships.
- Counsels and assists clients in the disposition of privately held businesses through both stock and asset sales.
- Represents both landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases for retail space, office space, warehouses and industrial parks.
URBAN & HISTORIC RENOVATION
- Counsels and assists clients in urban and historic renovation projects including the use of historic and new market tax credits.
- 2016-2019 – Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Areas of practice: Real Estate; Real Estate: Business; Business/Corporate.
- April 2017 – Named in “Five to watch in law” section by Crain’s Cleveland Business.
- New title curative statute will facilitate deals getting done, but beware of possible risks
- Don’t take for granted casualty provisions in commercial leases, because disaster could actually strike
- More projects may be delayed thanks to new restrictions designed to save endangered bat species
- September 2014 – “Lease Drafting, Structuring, and Negotiating,” Doubletree Hotel, Cleveland, OH
- September 2015 – “Commercial Lease Provisions and Issues”, Doubletree Hotel, Cleveland, OH
- Ohio State Bar Association
- National Association of Office & Industrial Properties (NAIOP)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.