- Business Services
- Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy
- Lender Services
- Public and Structured Finance
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Real Estate
- Urban and Historic Tax Credits
- Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management, M.B.A., 2003, Finance
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2001, Dean’s Honors List, Treasurer, Student Bar Association
- The George Washington University, B.B.A., 1995, International Business
Licensed to Practice
Nate is a partner with Walter | Haverfield’s Business Services group. He focuses his practice on real estate and financial services and has extensive experience in a wide range of commercial transactions, including representing clients in construction and economic development financing, acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, ground-up construction and development of commercial and industrial projects, sale lease-back transactions, operating company financing, bond financing, and urban and historic renovation projects.
Nate represents commercial banks and other lending institutions in construction and permanent financing, mezzanine financing and asset-backed financing, and his experience also includes representing creditors in loan restructurings, forbearance agreements, note sales, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure and other work-out matters.
Nate counsels clients in a variety of industries, such as lending institutions (including special servicers), insurers, retailers, hospitals, private developers, self-storage companies, manufacturing companies, nonprofit organizations, government entities and restaurants.
Prior to his legal career, Nate served as finance director for the city of Brooklyn, Ohio and as Secretary to the city’s planning commission and zoning board.
- Represented Port Authority located in the State of Ohio in connection with issuance of taxable conduit lease revenue bonds for ground-up construction and development of mixed-use office and multifamily facility located in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Represented Port Authority located in the State of Ohio in connection with issuance of taxable conduit lease revenue bonds for redevelopment of office tower located in Cleveland, Ohio for multifamily facility and office use. Project was also supported by other credits and incentives, including historic tax credits and State and County loan and grants.
- Represented placement agent in connection with Port Authority issuance of taxable capital lease revenue bonds concerning development of industrial facility in Mentor, Lake County, Ohio.
- Represented placement agent in connection with Port Authority issuance of taxable capital lease revenue bonds to finance the acquisition, construction and development of hotel in Cleveland, Ohio.
CREDITOR’S RIGHTS AND BANKRUPTCY
- Represented large regional financial institution in connection with work-out strategy for multi-loan financing secured by 25-story mixed-use retail, office and hotel building located in South Bend, Indiana.
- Represented large national financial institution in connection with work-out strategy concerning loan facility secured by a large residential housing development located in Cleveland, Ohio, involving foreclosure of mortgaged property, working with receiver on continued construction efforts and dealing with lien claimants, negotiation of settlement agreement and deficiency note with guarantors and ultimate sale of loan.
- Represented special servicer of securitized loan pools in the preparation for foreclosure of mortgaged property, negotiating deed-in-lieu of foreclosure agreements, settlement agreements and forbearance agreements, reviewing purchase and sale agreements for conveyance of REO properties, and advising client on rights and duties as special servicer under pooling and servicing agreements.
FINANCIAL SERVICES & LENDING
- Represented regional bank in connection with financing for the acquisition and infrastructure improvements concerning a planned 50 acre retail development in Erie County, Ohio, including negotiations with the Ohio Department of Development concerning a brownfield redevelopment loan and with county commissioners concerning tax increment financing.
- Represented national lender in acquisition and ground-up construction financing for multi-site apartment tower development located in Orange County, Florida.
- Represented national lender in connection with primary construction financing and bridge financing for redevelopment of office building to multifamily project supported by federal and state historic tax credits.
- Represented national lender in connection with multiphase construction and bridge financing for redevelopment of industrial complex to multifamily and commercial project supported by federal and state historic tax credits, new markets tax credits and state of Ohio brownfield redevelopment loan.
- Represented national lender in connection with guidance line of credit for construction of approximately 20 single-tenant retail stores across the United States.
- Represented national lender in connection with multi-loan facility for manufacturing company including operating and equipment lines of credit and term loans secured by real estate assets and business assets.
- Represented regional bank in connection with multi-loan facility for restaurant operator and associated manufacturing company including capex and operating lines of credit and term loans secured by business assets.
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT & FINANCE
- Represented regional manufacturer in refinancing of operating loan facility secured by 30 site real estate portfolio consisting of owned and leased properties located in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois.
- Represented national manufacturer in the sale and simultaneous lease-back of four manufacturing facilities located in California, Kansas, Minnesota and Texas and associated financing in connection with the sale-leaseback transaction.
- Represented regional shopping center developer in connection with CMBS and Life Insurance Company financing for various portfolio properties, including defeasance of existing mortgage financing.
- Represent local real estate investor in connection with various aspects of multi-layer financing for investment in Cleveland area multi-phase mixed-use office, retail, restaurant and residential development, which included bond financing, traditional real estate loans and private equity investment in the project.
- Represented county in connection with the proposed sale of multi-building complex in Cleveland, Ohio through sealed bid process.
- Represented manufacturing company in connection with site selection, governmental incentives and permitting development, property acquisition and bond financing for industrial development in Columbiana County, Ohio.
URBAN & HISTORIC RENOVATION
- Represented local developer in connection with the historic preservation of industrial building on the west bank of the Flats in Cleveland, Ohio supported by state and federal historic tax credits.
- Represented developer in connection with acquisition, redevelopment and financing of multi-building complex in Cleveland, Ohio in retail, office, multifamily and hotel project involving new markets tax credits, federal and state historic tax credits, county and state grants and loans, and taxable capital lease revenue bonds, tax increment financing, and direct construction and mezzanine financing.
- 2017-2021 – Selected for inclusion in the 2017-2021 editions of The Best Lawyers in America©. Listed in the current edition for Banking and Finance Law; Real Estate Law.
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers®
- Expansion of Ohio’s Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program Takes Effect
- The Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program gets a boost
- July 26, 2012 – Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association’s 2012 Municipal Law Institute, Dublin, Ohio. “Oil& Gas Leasing: A Municipal Perspective.”
- November 10-11, 2011 – Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s “33rd Annual Real Estate Law Institute.” Nate served as moderator and panelist for a presentation dealing with the legal and practical aspects of the latest oil and gas drilling boom in Ohio, titled “Drill Baby Drill – Oil & Gas.”
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Build Up Greater Cleveland
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.