For more than a decade, Rick has been a trusted advisor and partner to the real estate development and construction industry. Rick is best described as a real estate development attorney who focuses on all aspects of construction law. His clients include public, private, and institutional owners, developers, prime contractors, construction managers, designers, manufacturers, and lenders. Rick advises clients in every facet of construction development, including acquiring the project property, navigating property entitlements, structuring project construction delivery methods, developing and negotiating contract documents, incorporating local and national incentive programs, incorporating lender requirements, and counseling clients on claim management and real-time performance disputes, arbitration and litigation claims.
Rick’s extensive experience includes the construction of industrial and manufacturing facilities, high-rise and multi-use projects in major metropolitan areas, multi-use retail centers, cannabis growth facilities throughout the United States, primary and high school facilities, healthcare facilities, higher education developments, aviation facilities, stadiums, and entertainment districts. Rick is a well-known leader in the construction industry, having been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America and Ohio Super Lawyers.
• Represented private developer in the structuring, development, and negotiation of the contract documents for a 324,000+ sq. ft. mixed-use development. The project was a design-bid-build delivery that included street-level retail, commercial office space, hotel space and 200+ residential units.
• Represented private developer in the ground-up construction of a $110 million+ class A apartment complex using HUD 221(d) financing, government economic incentives, and Tax Increment Financing (TIF).
• Represented Hall of Fame Village developer in the structuring, development, and negotiation of contract documents for the $350 million+ project in Canton, Ohio, which included a 23,000 seat stadium, recreational sporting complex, center for excellence, and hotel.
• Represented private developer in the ground-up construction of a 34-story class A apartment building in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.
• Represented global automotive supplier in the construction of manufacturing facilities in Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, and South Carolina.
• Represented national industrial developer in the construction of facilities in Ohio, Michigan, Virginia, Florida, Washington, Texas, Nevada, New Jersey, California, North Carolina, Louisiana, Illinois, and Oregon.
• Represented medical marijuana company in construction of cannabis growth facilities in Ohio, Utah, Maryland, and Missouri.
• Represented a craft brewery in the private placement of membership units for the construction of a brewing facility and taproom restaurant.
• Represented a film production company in the private placement of membership units for the production and distribution of a 5-film slate project.
REAL ESTATE SERVICES
• Represented private developer in a $45 million historic rehabilitation project involving the mixed-use redevelopment of a 122-room hotel and 55 luxury residential units. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits. Assisted with all aspects of satisfying the requirements of the federal and state historic tax credit investors.
• Represented private developer in a $9 million historic rehabilitation project involving the mixed-use redevelopment of 26 residential units and street-level retail space. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits. Assisted with all aspects of satisfying the requirements of the federal and state historic tax credit investors.
• Represented institutional developer in the acquisition of a multi-family portfolio in Georgia, Ohio, Indiana, and Alabama. Volume exceeded $2 billion from 2020-21.