- Business Services
- Closely Held Business Services
- Construction Agreements and Disputes
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Lender Services
- Hospitality and Liquor Control
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2008, cum laude
- Ohio University, B.A., 2004
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Rick is an associate with Walter | Haverfield’s Business Services group. He focuses his practice in the areas of construction law, financial services, and commercial real estate. Rick represents clients in a wide range of matters, including the representation of both developers and prime contractors in construction contract negotiations, the representation of lenders and borrowers in commercial finance and lending transactions, the acquisition and disposition of commercial properties, leasing of retail, office, warehouse and industrial properties, and the negotiation of easements and other land use agreements. Rick also has experience in the formation, acquisition and equity financing of business entities, including the drafting of incorporation proceedings, operating agreements, private placement memorandums, stock purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements and joint venture agreements.
- Represented private developer in the negotiation of the construction agreement and contract documents for a 324,000+ sq. ft. mixed use development. The project included street-level retail, commercial office space, hotel space and 200+ residential units.
- Represented private developer in the drafting and negotiation of a lump sum construction agreement and contract documents for the historic rehabilitation of a mixed-use redevelopment incorporating 13 residential units, 4 commercial units and a restaurant space.
- Assisted private developer in the negotiation of an owner/construction manager agreement for the technology package of a 23,000 seat stadium.
- Represented private developer in the drafting and negotiation of the owner/ prime contractor agreement for the construction of 40 traditional townhome residences.
- Represented private developer in the drafting and negotiation of the owner/design builder agreement for the construction of a multi-family residential development.
- Represented a craft brewery in the private placement of membership units for the construction of a brewing facility and taproom restaurant.
- Represented a film production company in the private placement of membership units for the production and distribution of a 5-film slate project.
- Represents regional banks, commercial property owners, and industrial borrowers in the drafting and negotiation of loan documents for construction, permanent, mortgage-based and asset-based financing transactions.
REAL ESTATE SERVICES
- Represented private developer in a $45,000,000 historic rehabilitation project involving the mixed-use redevelopment of a 122-room hotel and 55 luxury residential units. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits. Assisted with all aspects of satisfying the requirements of the federal and state historic tax credit investors.
- Represented private developer in a $9,000,000 historic rehabilitation project involving the mixed-use redevelopment of 26 residential units and street level retail space. The project utilized federal and state historic tax credits. Assisted with all aspects of satisfying the requirements of the federal and state historic tax credit investors.
- Represents public companies, private developers and municipal corporations in the acquisition and sale of various properties in the following states: Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas and Arkansas.
- Represents private landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of commercial leases and other property documents, including reciprocal easement agreements, utilities easements, ingress and egress easements, and declarations of easements, restrictions and conditions.
- 2019 – Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Area of practice: Surety.
- 2020 – Selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Listed in the current edition for Construction Law.
- Blockchain Could Cut Construction Delays
- Three simple steps to minimize liability, legal delays and expenses during a residential construction project
- Construction Defects: How Long Are You At Risk?
- St. Ignatius High School Alumni Council
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Alumni Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.