- Business-Related Intellectual Property Services
- Business Services
- Economic Development
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Land Use and Zoning
- Lender Services
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public and Structured Finance
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Telecommunications and Right-Of-Way
- Public Law
- Cannabis Law
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- School of Law at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 2002
- Miami University, B.A., 2000
Licensed to Practice
Kevin is the administrative partner of Walter | Haverfield as well as a partner in the firm’s Business Services group. He represents public and private companies on major real estate transactions that include construction, development, financing, leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, exchanges, zoning, and entitlements. Kevin’s practice also focuses on negotiating acquisitions, dispositions, buyouts, and joint ventures. He advises on structuring transactions and corporate governance matters. In addition, Kevin regularly represents financial institutions and corporate borrowers in connection with commercial loan transactions.
Furthermore, Kevin represents marijuana business owners, individuals looking to enter the legal cannabis industry, and clients looking to effect change in marijuana laws and regulations.
Previously, Kevin was an associate at Thompson Hine LLP and Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP.
- Representation of a regional port authority in connection with fixed rate financing, structured leasing and infrastructure financing.
- Representation of NYSE-listed banks, leading global investment banks, asset management firms, and life insurance companies on commercial loans, including whole loans, mezzanine loans and bridge loans.
- Representation of a regional mutual bank on commercial loan transactions.
- Representation of a private developer in connection with the formation of a real estate private equity fund.
MERGERS, ACQUISITIONS & JOINT VENTURES
- Regularly represents one of the largest shopping centers REITS in the United States in connection with portfolio shopping center divestitures, outlot sales, site assemblage and acquisition/development projects, ECRs, joint ventures and unwinds, and various financing transactions.
- Counsel to a global chemical company in connection with the sale of legacy properties, leasing matters and the acquisition and development of manufacturing, processing and warehousing facilities.
- Represented a NYSE-listed REIT in the acquisition of a national self-storage portfolio.
- Representation of various joint ventures in the negotiation of joint venture and operating agreements.
- Counsel to a private developer in the acquisition, development, financing, and leasing of a residential, retail, entertainment and “lifestyle” center known as Pinecrest.
- Representation of developers in connection with new market and historic tax credits.
- Represented the owner of the Flats East project in Cleveland.
- Represented private developer in the preparation of a portfolio of 22 regional shopping centers for sale.
- Represented a public company in plant acquisitions and sales of plants in the following states: Iowa, Ohio, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin, and in the following foreign jurisdictions: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, England, France, Mexico, Slovenia, South Africa, and Venezuela.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS & RIGHT-OF-WAY
- Represents several national NYSE-listed cellular service providers in the preparation and negotiation of cell tower leases in the Midwest.
- October 2014 – In its October 6, 2014 issue, Crain’s Cleveland Business named Kevin Patrick Murphy as a member of its 2014 “Forty Under 40” class. Along with the other young professionals in this class, Kevin was recognized for his achievements and leadership in the Northeast Ohio business community.
- 2012-2021 – Selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2012-2013) and Ohio Super Lawyers list (2014-2021). Areas of practice: Real Estate; Real Estate: Business; Business/Corporate.
- 2021 – Selected for inclusion in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Listed in the current edition for Real Estate Law.
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers®
- Ohio’s marijuana program slow to metamorphize
- Improve your chances of obtaining a medical marijuana business license
- Intense competition for state-issued medical marijuana licenses necessitates advance preparation
- October 25, 2018 – International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, “Real Estate & Cannabis: Financial Opportunity or Unmanageable Risk?”
- October 5, 2017 – Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, “Medical Marijuana Seminar.”
- June 6, 2013 – “Exploring Public Easements, Utility Easements and Rights-of-Way,” HalfMoon Education Inc. seminar, titled “Fee Not So Simple: Understanding Relative Rights to Land Access and Use.”
- November 12, 2010 – The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s 2010 Environmental Law Symposium, co-presenter on the topic, “What Environmental Lawyers Should Know About Real Estate Law.”
- National Association of Office & Industrial Properties (NAIOP), Public Affairs Chair (NAIOP of Ohio)
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- St. Ignatius High School Alumni Association
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.