Walter Haverfield attorneys provide experienced counsel to help our clients achieve their business objectives while minimizing their tax liabilities. Our in-depth knowledge of tax law allows us to provide well-rounded and effective representation. We are known for resolving tax disputes with federal, state, local, and foreign tax authorities. It’s simple: We are as passionate and dedicated to the success of your business as you are.
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter Haverfield attorney.
Our Federal, State, & Local Tax Dispute Insight
A tax controversy may involve a business (whether for-profit or nonprofit), trust, estate, or individual, and can result from any form of taxation, including income tax, estate, and gift tax, state sales and use tax, and local property tax. In general, tax disputes are separated into civil and criminal matters.
Our tax attorneys have a thorough understanding of IRS (Internal Revenue Service) procedures, working knowledge of substantive tax areas, and the skills to advocate a position before the IRS or, if necessary, in court. We negotiate favorable resolutions at all levels within the IRS and successfully represent clients in litigation before federal district courts and the U.S. Tax Court. It is our relationships with the IRS, state department of revenue auditors, appeals officers, and counsel, combined with our full-service capabilities, that allow us to obtain the best possible results for our clients in the most efficient fashion.
Our litigation attorneys in our Cleveland and Columbus offices are consistently ranked and recognized by Best Lawyers®, Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and more. At Walter Haverfield, we pride ourselves on becoming each client’s trusted advisor for all their litigation needs.
U.S. NEWS – BEST LAWYERS® 2023 “BEST LAW FIRMS” RANKINGS
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Banking and Finance Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Commercial Litigation
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Labor and Employment
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Real Estate
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Trust and Estates
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Real Estate Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Tax Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Construction Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Litigation – Environmental
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Litigation – Construction
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Litigation – ERISA
- Antitrust Regulation
- Appellate Proceedings
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Consumer Finance Defense
- Creditors’ Rights Enforcement
- ERISA Claims
- Environmental Regulation Enforcement Actions
- False Claims & Qui Tam Actions
- Federal, State, & Local Tax Disputes
- Health Care Enforcement
- Internal Corporate Investigations
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability & Discipline
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- White-Collar Criminal Defense