Walter Haverfield’s trial attorneys represent public and private companies in all types of complex commercial litigation. We approach lawsuits from a business owner’s perspective, keeping costs down and maintaining the client’s unique objective central to our strategy. Our primary focus is a commitment to understanding each client’s legal concerns in the context of the client’s specific business, industry environment, and unique demands.
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter Haverfield attorney.
Our Commercial Litigation Difference
With offices in Cleveland and Columbus, we have the resources to handle any commercial dispute — from business-critical contractual matters to complex consumer class actions — locally and nationally. Our attorneys can provide representation for both plaintiffs and defendants and are well-versed in the use of alternative dispute resolutions and other remedies short of litigation if appropriate.
Clients choose Walter Haverfield because of our trial experience, depth of industry knowledge, and 90+ year proven track record. We have a strong presence in state and federal courts that enables us to serve as a comprehensive commercial litigation resource involving a range of industries, jurisdictions, and areas of law.
Our litigation attorneys in our Cleveland and Columbus offices are consistently ranked and recognized by Best Lawyers®, Super Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and more. At Walter Haverfield, we pride ourselves on becoming each client’s trusted advisor for all their litigation needs.
U.S. NEWS – BEST LAWYERS® 2023 “BEST LAW FIRMS” RANKINGS
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Banking and Finance Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Commercial Litigation
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Labor and Employment
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Real Estate
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Litigation – Trust & Estates
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Real Estate Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 1: Tax Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Construction Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Litigation – Environmental
- METROPOLITAN TIER 2: Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Litigation – Construction
- METROPOLITAN TIER 3: Litigation – ERISA
- Defending and prosecuting claims of unfair competition, majority/minority shareholder disputes, trade secret covenants-not-to-compete, and tortious interference with business relationships including claims asserted under the civil (federal and state) Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act statutes and the Economic Espionage Act (EEA), including the first trial of claims under the EEA
- Representing borrowers and lending institutions in loan participation agreement disputes
- Obtaining a six-figure judgment for a commercial property owner in a contract dispute. In addition, the court rejected the opposing party’s claim for business interruption. The trial court’s decision was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a breach of contract claim filed by a plumbing company against the successful bidder for a public improvement contract in Lorain County
- Obtaining a six-figure arbitration award against a construction company that built improvements on unstable soil
- Leading trial counsel for a national distributor of indoor soccer fields in litigation alleging theft of trade secrets by an international supplier of artificial turf. Obtained a favorable jury verdict after a one-week trial
- Leading counsel for an international metal coatings company, a national manufacturer of aviation ground support equipment, and an international novelty products company in Lanham Act litigation intended to protect their trade names, identities, and unique products. Claims promptly settled on very favorable terms for all three clients.
- Defending manufacturer of high-performance general aviation aircraft in multiple litigation matters arising out of catastrophic aircraft crashes
- Negotiating resolution for a municipality in a multi-million dollar construction project dispute
- Leading trial counsel in a successful week-long jury trial in a trade secrets theft case
- Winning a jury verdict of $1.8 million for a Texas-based manufacturer who sued a Fortune 200 company for breach of a supply agreement
- Representing a manufacturer of specialty machine parts in a breach of contract action tried to a state court jury; the plaintiff sought damages over $150,000, the jury awarded the plaintiff only $5,000
- Representing National Coordinating Counsel, through trial, of high-exposure commercial claims involving several lawsuits including a Colorado state class action claim arising from mass sales of construction components, leading to the creation of a $300 million settlement fund
- Defending $163 million excess insurance claims litigation arising from structural damage in over 20,000 prefabricated apartment modules in 1,500 buildings throughout Florida
- Performing due diligence for a Europe-based acquisition merger target, sought by a major U.S.-based law firm
- Forcing settlement of a $54 million extra-contractual insurance liability matter against a major Ohio commercial claims insurer at a fraction of the original claim amount
- Securing and collecting a multi-million dollar U.S. judgment award against a Finnish insurer on behalf of both American and British interests
- Appraising a multi-million dollar mining business interruption claim involving tax treatment coverage and mine depletion allowances.
- Coordinating Ohio counsel for tobacco product producers in a class action, insurance fund, and attorney general actions
- Trial team in Chilean tire industry commercial action arising out of the re-privatization of the industry by the Chilean government
- Providing defense in seminal mass tort litigation actions, including those arising from the MGM Grand Hotel, the Las Vegas Hilton, and the Beverly Hills Supper Club fires
- Routinely litigating claims where a tenant was obligated to transfer a liquor permit to a new tenant, but refused to comply with the contract
- Defeating a municipality’s objection to the renewal of a business’s liquor permit for four consecutive years until the municipality conceded
- Antitrust Regulation
- Appellate Proceedings
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Consumer Finance Defense
- Creditors’ Rights Enforcement
- ERISA Claims
- Environmental Regulation Enforcement Actions
- False Claims & Qui Tam Actions
- Federal, State, & Local Tax Disputes
- Health Care Enforcement
- Internal Corporate Investigations
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability & Discipline
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- White-Collar Criminal Defense