- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Economic Development
- Eminent Domain
- Labor and Employment
- Land Use and Zoning
- Law Director Services
- Public Law
- Public Records and Open Meetings
- Real Estate
- Sports Law
- Telecommunications and Right-Of-Way
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D.
- Case Western Reserve University, M.S.S.A.
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal district and appellate courts
An experienced trial and appellate lawyer and legal counselor, Todd is a partner with Walter | Haverfield’s Public Law Group, addressing land use and development issues, tax incentive development, eminent domain, litigation, public sector employment and labor law, antitrust law, and sports law matters. He has managed and tried a wide range of civil and administrative cases and counsels business owners, developers and public officials on related matters. He has also successfully handled a wide variety of cases involving zoning and land use, eminent domain, tort and civil rights, construction contracts, and general government authority issues. His litigation experience also includes class action and antitrust cases.
For almost 30 years, Todd has served as either the city solicitor or special counsel for Hudson, Ohio, as well as the director of law for the city of Richmond Heights. More recently, Todd has been named the law director of the village of Gates Mills. In the 1980s, he served as a municipal attorney for the cities of Cleveland and Cleveland Heights. Todd is, and has been, special counsel to several cities, villages, townships, counties, other governmental entities and taxing authorities throughout Ohio. He also regularly represents private parties in their dealings with public entities. Lastly, Todd serves as general counsel for a Division I college sports conference and performs all multi-faceted litigation and transactional matters.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers ©, 2014-22
- Named the Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Cleveland, 2019, 2021
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Nearly Half of All Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers®
- Two Walter | Haverfield Attorneys Selected as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers®
- The State of Ohio Enacts House Bill 180 Which Prohibits Local Governments From Enacting Local Hiring Requirements.
- Facade Inspections Mandate Adopted – with Sunset Clause
- Land Use
- “5th Amendment ‘Takings’ After Knick and Eminent Domain Update” – Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association and Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association Fall Municipal Civil Law Seminar, 2019
- “Section 1983 Litigation and the Government’s Duty to Defend and Indemnify Public Officials and Employees,” Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 2019
- “The Legal & Practical Aspects of Master Comprehensive Planning for Local Communities,” Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 2019
- “Elected vs. Appointed Law Director Issues, Contesting Proposed Charter Amendments and More,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 2019
- “Encouraging Economic Development Through Planning,” Northeast Ohio Planning & Zoning Workshop, 2018
- “Telecommunications Law Update,” Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association Law Institute, 2017
- “Land Use Law Update,” American Planning Association, 2017
- “Right-of-Way Regulation after Senate Bill 331,” Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association, 2017
- “Basics of Local Regulation of Political/Ideological Signs Under the First Amendment,” American Planning Association, Ohio Chapter, Cleveland Planning & Zoning Workshop, 2014
- “Recent Ohio Planning & Zoning Cases,” American Planning Association, Ohio Chapter, Cleveland Planning & Zoning Workshop, 2014
- “Land Use,” Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, 2014 Municipal Law Institute, 2014
- “Land Use Law Update,” Ohio State Bar Association, Land Use and Zoning Seminar, 2014
- “Home Rule and Local Control,” Ohio Municipal League Newly Elected Council Members, 2014
- “Liabilities of Litigation Re: Local Governments and Local Officials” and “Zoning and Land Use,” Seminar for Elected Local Government Officials, 2013
- “Defending Local Land Use Decisions” and “The Board of Zoning Appeals Jurisdiction and Best Practices,” American Planning Association Planning Conference, 2013
- “Zoning Case Law Update,” Ohio Township Association, Township Law Directors’ Group Meeting & Continuing Legal Education, 2013
- “Oil and Gas Regulation/Leasing: A Municipal Perspective” and “Oil & Gas: Hydraulic Fracturing (‘Fracking’) & Oil and Gas Leasing,” Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, Municipal Law Institute, 2013
- “The Board of Zoning Appeals Jurisdiction and Best Practices,” Medina County Planning Department, 2013
- “Current Issues in Land Use & Zoning,” Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association, Municipal Civil Law Seminars, 2013
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association
- Member, Northeast Ohio Law Directors Association
- Member, National Association of Industrial & Office Properties
- Member, American Planning Association, Ohio chapter
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.