- Business-Related Intellectual Property Services
- Business Services
- Closely Held Business Services
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Healthcare and Dental
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Lender Services
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2006, J.D.
- Journal of Technology, Law and Policy
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law – Community Economic Development Clinic
- University of Pittsburgh, 2006, M.B.A.
- Dean’s List
- Finance Concentration
- Villanova University, 2001, B.S. Business Administration
- Dean’s List
- Majors: Finance and Management Information Systems
- Minor: Political Science
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Ted is a partner with the firm’s Business Services group. He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, as well as private debt and equity financing. Ted has experience in leading transactions for multi-million dollar acquisitions and has represented borrowers and lenders in multi-million dollar debt offerings. He is also experienced in advising clients on general corporate matters, entity formation and governance, joint ventures, divestments, and reporting requirements and regulations. Additionally, Ted has experience forming loan documentation programs for public entities in the State of Ohio. Ted joined Walter | Haverfield as a partner in 2016. Prior to joining Walter | Haverfield, Mr. Motheral practiced law at Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aranoff. He was formerly a financial consultant for PricewaterhouseCoopers in New York City and also worked in the general counsel office of KLA-Tencor Corporation in Silicon Valley, California.
- Served as lead counsel for a privately-held kitchen exhaust cleaning company being acquired a private equity firm for $1.25MM
- Served as lead counsel in the buy-side acquisition of a regional home theatre services company for $900K
- Served as lead counsel in the buy-side acquisition of an information technology division of a regional technology incubator for $500K
- Served as lead counsel in a founding investor buy-out from a cloud based computing company for $2.25MM
CLOSELY HELD BUSINESS SERVICES
- Acted as outside general counsel for a national transportation and logistics corporation (and its affiliated entities) specializing in transportation, warehousing, packaging, liquid fill and spray drying
- Acted as outside general counsel for an international corporation that produces and supplies carbon and carbon-based end products
- Acted as outside general counsel for a national corporation that provides predictive maintenance and technology solutions
- Acted as outside general counsel for a national corporation that provides standard and special fasteners to end-users
- Acted as outside general counsel for a national corporation that provides 3D printers for additive manufacturing solutions
- Acted as outside general counsel for a corporation that provides products and services for marketing, design, print and distribution, promotion, data management and storage
- Acted as outside general counsel for a company that provides a digital shopping application to national retailers
- Acted as outside general counsel for a company that provides interactive presentation software to end-users
MERGERS, ACQUISITIONS & JOINT VENTURES
- Represented a private equity firm in the sale of one of the world’s largest manufacturers of liquid color and additive concentrates for thermoplastic products
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a major plant fertilizer manufacturer for $78MM
- Represented a privately held pigment dispersions and manufacturing company in its sale to a private equity firm for $75MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a breast pump division of a major corporation for $73.5MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a privately held information technology firm for $18MM
- Represented a privately held capital asset firm in the acquisition of a paper manufacturer for $9MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a silicone dispersions company for $15MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of an aerospace tooling company for $11MM
- Represented a public company in the healthcare solutions industry in the acquisition of one of its competitors for $12MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition and restructuring of a plant health and nutrition company for $35MM
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a European distribution company for $7.5MM
- Represented a wealth management company in the acquisition of certain customer financial accounts in the financial services industry for $3MM
- Represented a major credit union in a $1.5MM joint venture with other principals in the credit union industry to provide an educational platform to be accessed by customers and other credit unions
EMERGING COMPANIES & VENTURE CAPITAL
- Represented a dental roll-up company in a recapitalization and refinancing for $150MM whereby a sophisticated private equity firm was entering the company as the majority member
- Represented an investor led acquisition entity in the acquisition of a competitor in the transportation and logistics industry for $3.5MM
- Represented an investor led corporation in the acquisition of a competitor in the wine and spirits industry for $1.5MM
FINANCIAL SERVICES & LENDING
- Represented a technology company obtaining credit from their existing lender in order to complete several acquisitions, totaling $100MM
- Represented a privately held retirement planning company to obtain $100MM in credit in order to acquire three competing companies
- Represented several regional banks in drafting credit facility documents for specific borrowers
- Represented regional bank in a secondary bond market sale/transfer of county issued bonds
- Represented transportation and logistics client in a $35MM take out refinancing for capital infusion purposes
- 2015-2019 – Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Areas of practice: Mergers & Acquisitions; Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Looking to Grow Through Acquisitions? Five fundamentals that often go overlooked
- Tail-end funds can damage a portfolio
- Material Adverse Effect – How It ‘Affects’ M and A Transactions
- November 12, 2014 – “Legal Responsibilities of Not-for-Profit Board Members”; Speaking Engagement.
- April 9, 2014 – “Practicing Law as a Private-Practice Corporate Attorney”; Recent Articles & Presentations | Moritz Law School at The Ohio State University.
- January 31, 2014 – “General Terms and Conditions: Sale of Goods”; Recent Articles & Presentations | Jacobi Carbons, Inc.
- October 30, 2012 – “General Financing Options for Small and Emerging Businesses; Columbus, Ohio.
- November 14, 2011 – “Funding and Financing Options for Small and Emerging Businesses”; Recent Articles & Presentations | Columbus Chamber of Commerce.
MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Board member, Arthritis Foundation
- Member, Alliance of Mergers and Acquisition Advisors
- Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity of Ohio, Inc. (2013-2017)
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Cleveland
- Member, Turnaround Management Association, Cleveland
- Member, Young Republicans
- Member, Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce
- Member, TechColumbus / Rev1 Ventures
- Supporter, Youngstown Business Incubator
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
By transmitting an email using this website link, you are expressly agreeing to the terms set forth below:
Sending an email does not constitute a discussion or consultation with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys on a specific legal matter and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Walter | Haverfield or any of its attorneys. Do not transmit any information regarding a specific legal matter or any confidential information unless you have prior written permission from a Walter | Haverfield attorney.